A sprightly Lemon Bread adorned with lush Lemon “Cream” Frosting. A perfect way to start (or end) your day! This recipe has become one of my go to treats. It’s like a little taste of spring!
Gluten-free Lemon Bread
This lemon bread is so moist and delicious you won’t want to stop at one piece. Refreshing lemon flavor makes an excellent kick-off for your morning or a fine palate cleanser after dinner.
Vegan Lemon “Cream” Frosting
Victory! Over the years, I have made many sweet recipes using cashews for the creamy component. As I developed these recipes I frequently found myself saying, “with a little tweaking this would make an awesome frosting.”
I finally got around to said tweaking, and let me say it was worth the wait! This Lemon “Cream’ frosting is so tasty, rich and smooth you will never guess it is dairy-free and refined sugar-free. I love this frosting so much I actually make extra to keep in the fridge for topping shortbread cookies and maybe even a little extra on the bread!
Vegan Lemon Bread with Lemon “Cream” Frosting
Lemons are so bright and cheery you can’t help but associate them with the warmer months. It all comes together by topping the bread with the plant-based lemon cream frosting. This Lemon Bread will add the finishing touch to your brunch spread, picnic or holiday table. Enjoy!
Gluten-free Flour Substitutions
I formulated a blend of gluten-free flours to make the texture of this Lemon Bread just right. If you don’t have all of the flours on hand (brown rice flour, white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and arrowroot) 2 cups of all-purpose gluten-free flour may be substituted in lieu of the five flour blend.
And if you are looking for some more breads and springtime treats, check out my Gluten-free Cinnamon Raisin Bread, Berry Bliss Bars or my Berry Burst Donuts with Pomegranate Drizzle!
A sprightly Lemon Bread adorned with lush Lemon "Cream" Frosting. A perfect way to start (or end) your day!
- For the Lemon Bread
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about one large lemon)
- 3/4 cup cashew milk (almond milk may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Five flour/starch blend
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
- (or substitute gluten-free all purpose flour in lieu of the previous 5 flour/starch blend)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup oil (walnut, grapeseed, or melted refined coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter, melted
- 3 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Lemon Cream Frosting
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked (see note)
- 3 tablespoons cashew milk (almond milk may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons coconut nectar (or substitute maple syrup with some flavor alteration)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (plus extra to sprinkle on top of frosting, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Advanced prep required to soak cashews. See note.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line with parchment a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- 1) In a small mixing bowl, stir together flaxseed meal and lemon juice and set aside.
- 2) For the "buttermilk" add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar to 3/4 cup cashew milk and whisk together. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- 3) In a medium mixing bowl add storebought gluten-free all purpose flour OR whisk together my blend of 5 gluten-free flours/starches. Then whisk in coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 4) Add applesauce, "buttermilk", oil, melted cashew butter, lemon extract, and vanilla extract to flaxseed-lemon juice mixture and whisk together.
- 5) Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk together just until completely blended. Do not over-mix.
- 6) Pour into greased or lined loaf pan and bake for 30-33 minutes until loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted and removed comes out dry with little to no crumbs. Place pan on cooling rack for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle and remove from pan.
- For Lemon Bread without frosting: Allow to cool for about 30 minutes before slicing. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for about 3 days.
- For Lemon Bread with frosting: Allow bread to cool completely before frosting. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- For the Lemon Cream Frosting
- 1) Place soaked cashews, cashew milk, coconut nectar, lemon juice, coconut oil, lemon zest, and vanilla in a high-speed blender. Pulse a few times to break down the cashews then blend on high until smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides when necessary.
- 2) Spread on top of completely cooled Lemon Bread. Sprinkle with additional lemon zest, if desired.
Soaking cashews - Place cashews in a bowl and cover with extremely hot water. Let soak for about 30 minutes. Drain, rinse and cover again with extremely hot water. Soak for additional 30 minutes. Cashews are ready when soft and tender, rinse and drain again. Alternatively, soak cashews in cold water overnight in the refrigerator (about 8 to 10 hours), then rinse and drain.
Gluten-free flour substitutions - I formulated a blend of gluten-free flours to make the texture of this Lemon Bread just right. If you don't have all of the flours on hand (brown rice flour, white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and arrowroot) 2 cups of all purpose gluten-free flour may be substituted in lieu of the five flour blend.
Leave a Reply