Roasted Chipotle Chickpeas – A zesty snack, as addictive as potato chips, but more satisfying and downright nutritious. Only 5 minutes of prep time!
I am always on the lookout for healthy snack foods that satisfy a craving for savory goodness while legitimately giving the body nutrients that will fill the deficit. Chickpeas do just that. They are an impressive source of plant-based protein and many other nutrients. (To get all the details of what chickpeas have to offer, check out my Chocolate Chickpea Bark.) This recipe requires only 5 active minutes of your time to prepare and just a few ingredients. It can easily be tailored to your personal taste. Add more ground chipotle to make it spicier, substitute a different spice like chili powder, or use no spices at all and just add salt — you will be reaching for them before that temptress: potato chips!
Roasted Chipotle Chickpeas - A zesty snack, as addictive as potato chips, but more satisfying and downright nutritious. Only 5 minutes of prep time!
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans (I use Eden Organic as they are (obviously) organic and the can is BPA free)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1) Open can of garbanzos, pour in a strainer and rinse with cool water. Shake off excess water and pour onto a tea towel. Gently rub garbanzos with towel in a circular motion. Discard any skins that fall off.
- 2) Place garbanzos on a parchment lined baking sheet and allow to dry to the touch. It is important that they are dry before coating in oil or they will not get crunchy when roasted. You can place the baking sheet in the oven while it preheats to evaporate the remaining moisture.
- 3) Once dry, place garbanzos in a small mixing bowl with olive oil and gently mix with hands or wooden spoon until coated. Then sprinkle with finely ground sea salt, ground chipotle, and garlic powder, and gently mix. Return garbanzos to baking sheet and place in 400 degree Fahrenheit oven to roast for approx. 40 minutes. Shake baking sheet in a circular motion every 15 minutes to ensure even roasting. Remove from oven when garbanzos are a medium brown color and crispy when tasted. Set tray on cooling rack until cool to touch. Store in an airtight container.
This recipe can easily be tailored to your personal taste. Add more ground chipotle to make it spicier, substitute a different spice like chili powder, or use no spices at all and just add salt!
These look and sound crazy addictive. YUM!
Thanks so much! Yes, they are! 🙂
I love the tip about drying out the chickpeas while the oven preheats. I’ve made these a few times but they never turn out quite as crispy as I’d like. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Hi Alexandra, I’m so glad it helped! Enjoy!!