Roasted asparagus, garlic and sweet corn, drizzled with a vegan cilantro avocado cream. A unique dish that tastes phenomenal both hot out of the oven or chilled. 15 minutes of prep and 12 minutes to cook – ready in under 30 minutes!
The Skinny On Asparagus
Asparagus is one of those vegetables that can be enjoyed year round if you are fortunate enough to have a market that stocks it. Given its nutritional status it would be a shame to relegate it to the seasonal vegetable category. That being said, it’s springtime on the U.S. east coast and it’s asparagus season! If most veggies offer some type of nutritional punch, then asparagus offers the knockout. There are so many nutritional benefits. Here are some highlights:
- Asparagus is loaded with vitamins A, B, C, E and K.
- It is a great source of the mineral chromium, which increases the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the blood stream to cells. Regular consumption can make it beneficial in lowering the risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- It is high in Vitamin K which helps to lower the risk of coronary calcification which makes it beneficial to heart health.
- Asparagus is rich in glutathione, a detoxifying compound, which can help fight cancer by breaking down carcinogens and free radicals.
- It is a natural diuretic which helps the body to naturally flush excess fluids.
- Asparagus contains the prebiotic inulin which, breaking down in the large intestine, becomes food for good bacteria which contributes to gut health.
This list is by no means exhaustive. To see how it helps to fight depression (and the recipe for another great asparagus dish) take a look at my Asparagus and Quinoa Purple Potato Salad. If you’re looking for yet more asparagus options then how ’bout my Vegan Au Gratin Potatoes. They are to die for — but you probably won’t, because you are eating so much asparagus! Ha!
The Skinny On Removing Garlic Skins
Trim each end of the garlic clove, then place clove under flat side of knife and smash down on knife with heel of hand being careful to avoid the sharp blade. Skin will then peel right off! Place in garlic press or dice.
Roasted Asparagus With Vegan Avocado Cream
Ain’t she a beaut’?!